Energy & Carbon Management
The University of South Wales is committed to responsible utility and carbon management as part of our Environmental Strategy 2015-2020.
To manage our carbon footprint, the University is currently comprising a Carbon Management Plan which will outline how we intend to reduce our carbon emissions and meet our 3% year on year carbon reduction target.
To help achieve financial and environmental sustainability, the University aims to:
- Purchase energy at the most competitive rates available to the University.
- Consume energy generated from renewable sources wherever possible.
- Develop a robust monitoring and targeting system to fully understand our energy trends.
- Invest in energy efficient plant and projects with paybacks of less than three years.
- Include energy efficiency within all new buildings, refurbishments and equipment.
- Publish clear targets for energy reduction and report progress.
- Reduce waste production and divert as much waste as possible from landfill.
- Rehome surplus furniture internally in the first instance, then externally to charities, schools and public bodies.
- Promote low carbon travel and negotiate discounts for public transport.
- Increase environmental awareness amongst staff and students.
- Keep abreast of best practice, performance indicators etc.