Staff Waste, Recycling and Reuse

The University has a comprehensive set of arrangements for handling and storing waste to ensure as much as possible is recycled.

Our cleaning company KGB collects recycling and general waste from our offices and external bins at all of our campuses. If you’re planning an office move or you have a large volume of waste that needs to be collected, please contact KGB by putting a request on the Estates Helpdesk.

Staff are not permitted to bring any waste from home onto our campuses. This creates additional cost for the University. Please contact your local Council who can direct you to your nearest recycling facility.

For information on how to dispose of specific types of waste, please see below:

Dry Mixed Recycling

Dry mixed recycling consists of all types of paper, card, cans, certain plastics and glass. This should be placed in the labeled recycling bins. These are the green bins around all campuses except Newport City campus which has separate bins for each waste stream.

If you do not have a mixed recycling bin, please contact the KGB via the Estates Helpdesk and request one.

General Waste

The University tries to avoid waste to landfill wherever possible. Some waste cannot be recycled and therefore ends up as general waste. Before you dispose of your waste in the general waste bin, check to see if it can be recycled first.

All general waste should be placed in the labeled general waste/landfill bins. These are the bins with the black labels around all campuses.

If you do not have a general waste bin, please contact KGB via the Estates Helpdesk and request one.

Printer Cartridges

Printer cartridges cannot go into our General Waste or Dry Mixed Recycling bins.

The University recycles all types of toner printer cartridges via a separate company.

To dispose of toner cartridges, please place the old toner cartridge in the box that the new one came in and mark on it “for recycling”. When emptying the waste toner, please ensure it is placed inside the plastic bag and box that the new one came in and also marked as “for recycling”.

All toner cartridges should be sent to B block basement via the internal mail system.

Waste Electrical Electronic Equipment W.E.E.E. and I.T. base unit equipment

Staff are legally obliged to ensure electrical waste is disposed of correctly and is not disposed of with any other waste.

Waste electrical equipment includes TVs, computers, printers, fans, fridges, monitors, photocopiers, scanners, keyboards, mice etc. Much of the electrical waste the University produces can be recycled.

For any electrical waste that requires disposal, IT services have a contract with CDL. Please contact IT on ext 82882 to arrange disposal.


The University disposes of domestic batteries via designated battery bins around campus. Locations of the battery bins around campuses can be found below:

Treforest Campus

  • Library
  • Near main electronics lab J375
  • IT printing room
  • Estates Office
  • Accommodation Office (coming soon)


  • Library


  • Library


  • Library

Hazardous Waste

Hazardous Waste is dangerous to the environment and cannot be disposed of in the dry mixed recycling or general waste bins. It includes the following:

  • Paints and solvents
  • Automotive wastes (used motor oil, antifreeze, etc.)
  • Pesticides (insecticides, herbicides, fungicides, etc.)
  • Mercury-containing wastes (thermometers, switches, fluorescent lighting, etc.)
  • Aerosols / Propane cylinders
  • Caustics / Cleaning agents
  • Ammunition
  • Radioactive waste (some home smoke detectors are classified as radioactive waste because they contain very small amounts of a radioactive isotope of americium)

If you are unsure whether your waste is hazardous, please email our Sustainability Officer Alice Milanese to find out.

To dispose of hazardous waste, please complete the Hazardous Waste Disposal Form and contact the relevant person below:

  • Treforest, Lower Glyntaff, William Price, Sports Park, Cardiff ATRiuM, Newport City – Alice Milanese

All hazardous waste is to be accompanied by a completed Waste Disposal Form. Complete description and Hazard Classifications section before waste is transferred to the waste store for disposal by an approved waste disposal contractor. Refer to the original container labelling or manufacturer’s Safety Data Sheet for Hazard Classification. NOTE: Waste not accompanied by a WDF form, if inappropriately labelled or packaged, or where insufficient information is provided WILL NOT BE REMOVED BY THE WASTE DISPOSAL CONTRACTOR.

Ordering Skips

To order a skip, please contact Alice Milanese .

The following information will be required:

  • Date for skip arrival and departure
  • Name of person disposing of the waste
  • Type of waste being disposed of
  • Size of skip required
  • Location for the skip to be delivered
  • Departmental Financial code for charging of skip

No waste electrical equipment or hazardous waste is to be disposed as general waste as cannot be sent to landfill.


The University tries to reuse items wherever possible. Items are reused internally or are donated to local charities, community groups, educational establishments etc.

If you would like to enquire about furniture for reuse or rehoming, please contact the Estates Helpdesk.